Friday, July 17, 2009

using spelt...

One of the first things I did when trying to transition my family to a healthier diet was switch out all white refined stuff to whole grains and natural sugars.   I'm not saying I don't use any of the white stuff but have learned to make it a habit to replace it when I can.   I've used whole wheat flour but after a little research I found spelt.  It's not gluten free but it is more water soluble & the proteins, particularly the gluten, are much more fragile and easily broken down.   Spelt is similar to wheat in appearance. However, spelt has a tougher husk than wheat, which may help protect the nutrients in spelt. Spelt flour has a somewhat nuttier and slightly sweeter flavor than whole wheat flour. Spelt contains more protein than wheat, and the protein in spelt is easier to digest. This means that some people who are allergic to wheat may be able to tolerate spelt. 

Anyway one of my kids favorite breakfasts consist of roll-up pancakes.  These pancakes have been a family favorite for years.  My Dad started back in the day making Swedish pancakes (crepes).  As kids we begged for these on a regular basis.  As I've gotten older I continued this tradition except tweaked the recipe a bit and swapped white flour for spelt, honey for white sugar and soy milk for cow milk .  Since they are so easy to make and the kids love them then they get made on a weekly basis.  I thought I would share one of our family favorites.  Keep in mind this recipe feeds a family of  7, 5 of which still have small stomachs.  You could easily divide it in half.  Oh and if you don't want to use spelt flour just do it dad style and use white flour.

Easy & healthy roll-up pancakes: 
8 eggs
2 1/2     cup milk, soy milk, almond milk  (whatever your preference may be)
1 1/2     cup spelt flour
2 TBS   sweetener (agave nectar, honey or sugar)
salt       (I never measure)

blend eggs & milk 
add flour, salt & sweetener
blend well

pour onto a hot buttered griddle (I always have set around 350)
flip only after about a minute (they cook very quickly)
*make sure to keep stirring the batter as the spelt is a whole grain which makes it heavier so it settles to the bottom quicker making the last pancakes thicker and not as good.

For a topping you could use just about anything but when I was growing up my Dad sure new how to pour the powdered sugar on & that is still my favorite.  I have used agave/maple syrup or almond butter and fruit.  Really whatever tickles your fancy. This morning we kind of contradicted the healthy pancake & went with the white refined stuff to top it off...no wonder the kids kept saying more please this morning.  I also have much success with just agave nectar and adding maple extract to it.  

{photo via Curly Top}
Note to self:  Next time make Pbu as a topping.  Go here for the Pbu recipe.



Hopefully this weekend I can finally get the laundry room finished.  It's just getting so close I can hardly stand it.  It always seems there is something that just gets in the way hence that is why it takes 10 years to get anything done.



PS - I love that this little girl thought she could fly with a balloon wrapped around her waist.

12 comments:

nest of posies said...

never heard of spelt. will have to look for it. pancakes are a huge fave at our house as well. so yes, i must try a more healthy approach.

the last picture on this post...is the aqua blue or as i like to say, "tiffany blue" the color you are keeping for your laundry room??? we have that color in our breakfast room. i love it. before i had it painted, i never imagine all the possibilities with this color. it goes with so much. it is amazing. right now my favorite color with it is red.

have a great weekend.

~Grace Happens~ said...

oh how i need major cooking lessons from you!! believe it or not, i actually think about your blog sometimes when i'm at the grocery store, and it gives me the motivation to make healthier choices...so thank you for that!! i can't wait for the laundry room reveal!!! i know it'll be fabulous, just like the rest of your home. have a wonderful weekend!! xo

Marketing Unscrambled, Home edition said...

Those roll up pancakes look so good. Had not heard of spelt. We will look for it at the store. Thank you for the good way to eat. Learn something new every time that we read your blog. Thank you for that. Job well done.

Dan and Deanna "Marketing Unscrambled"

Courtney Vance said...

I love your dad's breakfasts and I think even I could handle spelt. I can't wait to try it.

Debbie said...

did you get your new couch??? It looks like the old one in the picture with Little M. Looks like is still moving forward for you!! Yipppeee! See you soon.

Cheryl said...

Where do you get spelt? I looked for it a few places but they didn't have it. Would they have it at Trader Joes? It sounds so good and healthy!

Whitney said...

So I saw this post earlier this morning and didnt even comment because I needed to make Swedish pancakes PRONTO... So good.

Laura said...

This made me hungry! Maybe we'll have to make them in the morning minus the spelt for now. I'll have to try that!
Your laundry room is looking great. Love the door!

Aimee's Family Journal said...

NEW couches!?? I need to see living room photos now! Please post!

~Grace Happens~ said...

hey there again! just dawned on me that i don't have your email, and wanted to see if you were up for a fun giveaway! i've got lots to donate if you are up to it:) you can email me at gracesorensen1@gmail.com if you are interested! xoxo

Rhonda said...

Oh Christina. How I wish I could be like you in so many ways! Your creativity, cheery disposition & cooking skills are amazing. Thank you for the tips & recipes! It helps clueless people like me who want the good stuff but don't know how to find it.

Annie said...

I wonder what the translation for spelt is in Korean? I'd love to find some of that stuff. Good 'ol oatmeal is a 5 days out of 7 days classic for us. I just wish the steel cut wasn't so darn expensive over here. It costs me $1.00/serving...yikes!
Your laundry room door looks fabulous. I don't remember it having that texture to it. Was that added as part of the makeover?
And...you got new living room couches? Are they new or did you pick those up used. The color looks fabulous.